My photo
North Georgia Mountains
sculptor, painter, mixed media artist

Monday, January 17, 2011

Amour

This weekend our best friends were in town. The Men had an errand to run which left the women-folk to fend for ourselves. That meant Art Day! When ever Joy and I get together we inspire each other to work on new and different things.

Joy had said she wanted to learn more about working with clay so I came up with a basic design for a mixed media piece we could both make.

Here is both of our finished hearts, sculpted in a low-temp clay with metal embellishments and a wire hanger attached. Before firing them we stamped the clay to give it texture.
Here is my heart and partially finished wooden frame. I covered the cardboard backing to the frame in decorative paper that looked like old love letters. I painted the frame red and painted on a crackle medium.

Over the crackle medium I painted an acrylic paint called Wrought Iron


Here is the finished piece! I used 3 different font text stamps and added the French word for love: Amour. I painted the heart with several different layers of red paint. I then rubbed on a walnut alcohol ink. As of yet I'm not overly impressed with the alcohol inks. Will need to play with them a bit more.



Here's a detail picture of my heart. It's attached to the frame with a brown silk cord. And hanging at the end is the key to my heart.

Joy's finished artwork is posted on her blog over here. It came out fabulous!!! I always love how we can do a piece side by side and come out with 2 distinct works of art!



3 comments:

Manon said...

Fun!! I love that!!

Joy said...

What fun we had! :)

Leslie said...

Oh, I love art days with friends! I've been fortunate to collect a lot of like-minded friends and nothing is better than those days we get together to make stuff!