My photo
North Georgia Mountains
sculptor, painter, mixed media artist

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

eggnog donuts

We've been snowed in for the past 2 days. We started with plenty of supplies but we slowly ran out. Yesterday I started getting creative with my cooking. I had run out of both milk and any kind of creamer. But I still have eggnog!

So I found this recipe for eggnog donuts. And they came out great!!!!! I'll make these again and not just because I ran out of milk.



  • 3 cups Bisquick, Plus Extra For Kneading
  • 1-¼ cup Eggnog (or Milk)
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
  • Vegetable Oil, Enough For Deep Frying

Preparation Instructions

Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy Dutch oven to 350 degrees.

On a plate or cake pan, mix the sugar and spices together. Set aside for coating the finished doughnuts.

In a medium-sized bowl, mix bisquick with eggnog (or milk). The batter should be slightly sticky, so add more milk if the batter seems too dry.

Sprinkle your counter or cutting board with extra Bisquick and dump dough onto this. Begin to knead, until the dough comes together into a nice ball that is no longer sticky. Roll out (or smoosh out with your fingers), then cut into doughnut shapes. (I used a biscuit cutter and the cap of my vegetable oil bottle for the center).

Very carefully, drop doughnuts into hot oil. Do not let them get too brown on one side before flipping, or they will get bottom heavy with oil and you will have trouble keeping them flipped, so both sides brown evenly. Repeat with doughnut holes.

As you take the doughnuts out of the oil, briefly blot by laying the doughnuts on a paper-towel-lined plate, then immediately dredge in the sugar and spice mixture while doughnuts are still hot.

This should make 15 doughnuts with 15 doughnut holes.


No comments: